The Iowa Amputee Golf Association started its scholarship program in 1998. The association wanted to find away to give back to younger members of the group that were trying to continue their education at the next level.
The scholarship program has grown tremendously over the last several years with contributions from the scramble tournament (purchase of mulligans and the circle contest) as well as private contributions from members.
Any amputee or immediate family member of an amputee is eligible for the scholarship. This includes children, grandchildren, and stepchildren of an amputee, living in the state of Iowa. The size of the scholarship awarded does vary depending on the number of scholarships the board decides to award for that given year. If awarded a scholarship, the winner must:
- Maintain at least a 2.5 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) for the next semester of college
- Send a copy of their grades to the board following their next semester of college, at which time the board will send a check for the scholarship amount awarded to that individual. The board must receive the grades before February 15, or the recipient will not receive the scholarship payment.
To be eligible for the scholarship, an applicant must:
- Be an amputee of one or more major limb/joint(s) or an immediate family member of an amputee including children grandchildren, or stepchildren of an amputee who is living in the state of Iowa.
- Be accepted or enrolled in an accredited post secondary institution.
- Submit a completed application by May 1st of the award year. The application must include a transcript (high school or college), a personal resume, two letters of reference, and a statement (100 words or less) concerning their intent to continue their education.
Applicants must re-apply each year. (for re-applying, complete the application form, but you do not need to re-submit resume, letters of reference, or statement)
The scholarship will be presented at the Saturday evening banquet, held in conjunction with the tournament. The recipient will be asked to attend the banquet to accept the certificate.
Send applications and questions to:
4502 Wagner Road
Waterloo, IA 50703